It's a Crazy Life but it's OURS!!

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Courtney's trip to the ER



The other day Courtney woke up telling me that it was hard for her to breath.  She wasn't gasping and turning blue so I told her to just take it easy and we would see how she is doing the next day.  So, the next day comes around and I had to take her to an Orthopedic apt. for a follow up on her injured ankle.  While we were there I told the Dr. that I had injured my foot 3 weeks ago and that it wasn't feeling any better, it burns all the time and it swells here and there  I told him that I didn't want an X ray because I was positive that I hadn't broken anything but that I thought I had some tendon or ligament damage, so I wondered if I could get an MRI.  He asked me how I did it, and where it hurt and when he touched it I kind of groaned, he says to me, I think that you fractured it.  I said WHAT?? He had me go get an X ray right then and 10 minutes later when I was back in his office he showed me the x ray with my fractured foot. I started laughing!! I've never had a broken bone in my body, and now at 37 I fracture my foot working out at the gym and then I walk around with it for 3 weeks in denial.  So he gave me a boot that I have to wear for 3 weeks.
But as we are walking back to the parking garage Courtney had to sit down because she couldn't breath, so I called her Dr. office and they told us go to the ER we turned around and went to the ER.  They got us in pretty quick and despite that fact that she looked good and all her vitals were normal, they checked her in and told me that they were going to run every test to rule out anything bad.  So, they did a chest x ray, a chest ultra sound, drew blood, an EKG, they hooked her up to 2 different machines and she had stickers all over her body.  Every test came back normal but they could tell that she was still having a hard time getting air to fill her lungs so they did a breathing treatment and told her to breath through the pain no matter how much it hurt.  She did it with a lot of discomfort but after she said even though it hurt she was able to get more air into her lungs and was feeling better.  So, she was sent home with an inhaler and if the symptoms go away then great, if not then she is to follow up with her Pediatrician for more pulmonary tests.  So, far she is doing much better!! I'm so grateful for good, concerned Doctors and modern technology and medicine!

No comments: