My Dad was unable to go on the hikes with us because he is still on crutches and is not able to put any weight on his leg yet from his previous surgeries. So, he went to the trails and would wait at the base of each trail for us. I'm sad that he had to miss out because this would've been something that he really would've enjoyed but we were able to be with him after and tell him all about it.


After the hikes we all met back at the church for dinner and we were able to watch some old slides. That was really neat for me and my kids to be able to see old pictures of my mother and the rest of her family when they were young. After all of that, Troy took Courtney and I to Borders Bookstore to get our wristband so we could go back at midnight to get the 4th volume from the Twilight series with my cousins. Our wrist band # was 684...
and that was at about 9:30pm, we then went back to my Aunt Lori's house and waited until 11:30pm to go to Borders with my cousins.
We finally got the book and left the store at about 1am. Good times!!
The next day we hung out at my Aunt's house in the morning and then went to the church in the afternoon to play games, and activities (that I was in charge of, I guess that's what happens when you are the oldest grandchild!) and we BBQ'd. This was a great time for the younger children and the adults. We had a couple of racing games, kids against adults, etc... bubbles, 3 legged race, get to know you game, Bocce Ball, etc.... It was really fun!! It's crazy to think back to when I was my kid's ages and remember when me and all of my cousins used to run around like that, now, it's my kids and my cousins' children that are playing together...
That evening was talent night. There were so many acts and I never got tired of sitting there. My Grandfather sang which I loved because as a child (and even now) he would sing to us, my favorite songs were Shadrack and Jeri-Jericho. He is such a great singer and my memories of those times are so special to me. It was great that my kids got to be apart of that and add that evening to their memories. Troy taught the boys a fun skit and Josh did some gymnastics, Courtney sang, and lots of others participated... At the end because it was my Grandparent's 60th wedding anniversary, my Grandfather had bought 60 roses, and we all got to individually give my Grandmother a rose and tell her anything special that we wanted. I was overwhelmed because my Grandparents are a BIG part of my life and one of the reasons I am who I am today. So, I was crying and emotional but I told her how much she meant to me and how much I love her. After all of my kids had given their roses, (and I could tell that the older kids really felt something) Zach came up to me and says, "Mom, why are we doing this?" ME: "Because it's their anniversary and it is giving us an opportunity to tell Grandma how much we love her." ZACH: "and why does this involve crying???" I had to laugh, because he was so serious with his comment and really didn't understand. It was so cute, and then my sister in law, Anna, said to me, "Some times our hearts are so full of love that it comes out our eyes" and that was exactly how I felt that night. It was a great experience and one that I won't forget.The next day we were able to go to church with my Grandparents and it was Fast and Testimony meeting. That was a special time also, a few of us bore our testimonies. I was overwhelmed more so that day, because there was a time in my life when I was able to live with my Grandparents after I graduated from high school, it was a very big life changing experience for me, I really grew during that time and I gained my testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ and of who I was and that there really was a Heavenly Father who loved me no matter what. So walking into those church doors really was sweet for me. I felt the overwhelming love of my family and of my Heavenly Father and my Savior that morning. I am very blessed to have such an amazing, loving, close extended family who have always set an example for me. We may not live close but we are close! Thanks to my Grandparents for the choices they made in their lives to live the gospel and set that example for me, it has made a HUGE impact on my choices and my life. I love you more than you'll ever know!

After church we went and visited at my Grandparents house and Josh was so excited to go down in their basement and play with their cars. They have these old fashioned real metal cars that we've played with since I was a kid. Then we went to my Uncle Steve's house for a great lunch/dinner. It was hard to say good bye, and my kids didn't want to leave but it was an awesome fun filled weekend full of reflection that I am so glad we were able to be apart of. Can't wait to see you all again in 2 years. The Doty Legacy is a great thing.


No comments:
Post a Comment