It's a Crazy Life but it's OURS!!

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Visiting with the Watts Grandparents

On our way home from the Doty reunion we were able to stop in Red Bluff to visit with my other Grandparents. It had only been about 7 months since I last saw my Grandpa and Grandma Watts but I was saddened and amazed at how much older my Grandpa Watts was, it brought me to tears. My Grandma is going in for surgery on her heart on Friday and my Grandpa has Alzheimer's. When I walked into his house he was asleep so I took him by the hand and he woke up and saw me and immediately said, "It's Ashlee" he knew me and I was so touched.
It was such a nice visit. He was able to tell us all about his "stories" that were fun to go along with (that go along with his Alzheimer's). He had a few crazy things to share with us, it was almost like playing pretend with a 2-3 year old. But it was my Grandpa. Except when we sat down to have lunch he asked if anyone had blessed it yet, and we said, "no, Grandpa will you bless it?" He was so real in that moment, he knew exactly what to say and I was overwhelmed with the love I have for him that it brought me to tears hearing him bless the food. (which he forgot to do...:) )

The hat he is wearing is his favorite, he apparently wears it all the time and is very proud of it. (it's my Dad's company's hat.) Whenever he wears it he tells everyone who it came from. He made sure 2 times that I knew what hat it was and who it was from...

We laughed a lot and I was able again to reflect on the impact of family in my life. I was lucky enough to live next door to this set of Grandparents for 12 years while I was growing up. I forgot how much I missed them until I was able to visit and let my children get to know them for the 2 short hours that we were there. I know that they won't be with us much longer but I know that they will be able to meet their Savior with open arms.

I love you Grandpa and Grandma!

5 comments:

Amie said...

I'm sorry to hear about your grandpa. I know how you feel. Alzheimer's is a difficult thing. I'm very close to my grandparent's too and also was with them most of my "Kentucky life". My grandfather also has Alzheimer's. Fortunately he has never forgotten me but he doesn't remember how many children I have or understand why I don't visit more. He forgets within a minute that I live far away. But I do learn a lot from his stories that he tells about 5 times in a hour. If ya ever need to talk, I'm hear for you.

Tracey said...

Thanks for leaving comments on my blog - hope all is well. Your family is adorable!

Tanja said...

I'm totally crying now! I just got back yesterday from Red Bluff. I went up Thursday and took care of Grandpa by myself until yesterday when my mom came back from the hospital. I was up all night with him both nights and took care of every single physical need he has which was difficult but also an experience that makes me so bonded to him. I loved reading your post about your visit. I share in the saddness. On Friday night, which was a very long one, he went to bed about 7:30 and told me that he wasn't feeling bed and wanted to know if I would take care of the kids for him during the night because they come to him every night. He plays with them and gives them bottles. He's told me about this before but I played along like I didn't know what he meant. So, I asked him, what kids are coming over? He said his two babies, Martin & Sarah, Wendi's little boy and Jared & Anna's, Felicity. He can't hold them because they don't have there bodies but they have a great time anyway. Anyhow, I'm sorry to ramble on your blog but I really wanted to share this with you and thank you for visiting them on the way home. They rarely get visits which is really hard for my family to see. They were so thrilled to have you and your family and I got to hear all about it.

The Scharmann Family said...

Hey Ashlee, looks like you guys had a fun filled trip!! What a blast! Just looking at your blog, I could tell it was definetly a trip to remember. Your kids are so big! Wow, When are we going to get together? It was good to see pics of your family too. Very Nice! We miss you! We better get together soon before my kids forget who you guys are. You will have to visit our blog. We have some funny footage/videos of Steve and Dallin is learning to walk!

Dawn said...

I just got to see Grandpa last week as well. It was great to see him and grandma. It's so sad to see how much they've changed, especially grandpa. I was overwhelmed with emotion when I saw him. He's such a sweet old man. Thanks for the post!